City Council approved a bigger piece of the red light camera pie for itself Jan. 27: 20 percent of the monthly revenues generated by Norcross, Ga.-based Lasercraft, up to $4,500, then a 50-50 split after that. That's a higher percentage than the 15 percent (with the same cap) the city was entitled to with previous provider Redflex Traffic Systems, and should yield a pretty penny if past statistical trends continue. Citations, $50 each, numbered 60,336 for 2007, the first year that 15 cameras were operational for all 12 months.
Other traffic and automobile operation misdemeanors, though, could yield about the same amount of revenue, or even less, if the numbers from 2005-2007 are a predictor of future citation rates from the Knoxville Police.
The numbers: 2005 / 2006 / 2007
- Blocking Traffic: 33 / 106 / 22
- Failure to Yield: 683 / 440 / 349
- Reckless Driving: 292 / 139 / 108
- Speeding: 28,094 / 30,307 / 33,430
- Following Too Close: 2,720 / 2,506 / 2,374
- Passing Stop Sign/Signal: 2.332 / 2,314 / 2,146
Source: Knoxville Police Department annual report, 2007