Two decades in the making! Months of planning! Weeks of anticipation! Forty bands! Metro Pulse's astoundingly epic 20Fest is almost here, and most of the details—like who is playing where, and when—have just about been sorted out.
The background: Metro Pulse is turning 20 this month, and we've convinced a bunch of local musicians to help us celebrate on Friday, Aug. 19, at 10 venues all over downtown and in the Old City. $10 at the door of any of those venues (the Square Room, Latitude 35, Preservation Pub, Morelock Music, the Crown & Goose, 90 Proof [above Southbound], Pilot Light, Barley's Taproom & Pizzeria, plus Old City Entertainment Venue and Hannah's Old City for dancing) buys a wristband that is good for admission to any of the other participating clubs the rest of the night; proceeds from the wristbands go to the Joy of Music School, which provides musical instruction and education for underprivileged children in Knoxville. Sponsors who are helping us pull this off, in addition to the venues and performers, are the University of Tennessee's student-run radio station, WUTK 90.3 FM, Twisted Tea, and Coors Light.
Look for a full guide to all the bands, all the venues, and more in this week's Metro Pulse. For now, here is the mighty, mostly official 20Fest schedule:
UPDATED 8/16/11--This should be it!
4 Market Square
• Jack Rentfro and the Apocalypso Quartet (6 p.m.)
• Hudson K (6:50 p.m.)
• Knoxville Early Music Project (7:50 p.m.)
• Todd Steed and the Suns of Phere (8:50 p.m.)
• Stewart Pack (9:50 p.m.)
• Taylor Brown and Company (10:50 p.m.)
• The Theorizt (11:50 p.m.)
16 Market Square
• The LoneTones (7:15 p.m.)
• The John Myers Band (8:15 p.m.)
• The Ghosts (9:15 p.m.)
• J.C. and the Dirty Smokers (10:15 p.m.)
• The Drunk Uncles (11:15 p.m.)
• The Gentlemen Conspiracy (12:20 a.m.)
28 Market Square
• The Dirty Knees (8 p.m.)
• Tim Lee 3 (9 p.m.)
• Jeff Heiskell (10 p.m.)
• Cold Hands (11 p.m.)
• Senryu (midnight)
• Earth Quaker (1 a.m.)
411 S. Gay St.
• Kat Brock (7 p.m.)
• Matt Morelock (8 p.m.)
• Four Leaf Peat (9 p.m.)
• The Johnson Swingtet (10 p.m.)
123 S. Central St.
• Hey OK Fantastic (8 p.m.)
• Plainclothes Tracy (9 p.m.)
• Brian Waldschlager (9:50 p.m.)
• Econopop (10:50 p.m.)
• Westside Daredevils (11:50 p.m.)
106 S. Central St.
• Warband (8:30 p.m.)
• Pick Up the Snake (9:15 p.m.)
• Pegasi 51 (10:15 p.m.)
• Teenage Love (11:15 p.m.)
• The American Plague (12:15 a.m.)
106 E. Jackson Ave.
• Damaged Patients (9 p.m.)
• Mito Band (9:50 p.m.)
• White Gregg (10:40 p.m.)
• Dumb Lunch (midnight)
• Dolphyn Ryder (1:20 a.m)
200 E. Jackson Ave.
• Daniel Miller (8 p.m.)
• John Paul Keith (9 p.m.)
• Mic Harrison and the High Score (10:15 p.m.)
• Hotshot Freight Train (midnight)
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story listed the wrong address for Morelock Music. The store is located at 411 S. Gay St., not 403 S. Gay St.