Old City rests on Central. Which was previously known as Crozier Street. Which was also known as the Bowery. Stretching from the river wharf to the railroad yards, from the 1880s to around 1910 it was a half-dozen blocks of saloons, whorehouses, cocaine parlors, gambling dens and poolrooms. Except for the Old City, it's all torn down.
This is the standard detour. Take the old Henley Street exit, and counterintuitively, turn right, following the sign to Western, to turn left on Western.