Originally constructed as “the Knoxville Building,” the city’s official pavilion at Nashville’s Centennial Exposition of 1897 was moved in pieces to Knoxville’s Main Street in 1898. Rechristened the Woman’s Building for the women’s groups that sponsored it, the architectural artifact became a lively cultural venue, hosting art shows and scientific exhibits, lectures, and dances. Several women’s clubs kept their headquarters in the building, which also housed music and art studios and a small business college. Every October for nine years, it was central to Knoxville’s fall carnival. However, on Christmas Day, 1906, stray holiday fireworks started the blaze that destroyed the building. The site subsequently served as a skating rink, a streetcar barn, and a Trailways bus station. Today it’s the southeastern part of the Baker Federal Courthouse, in an edifice originally built to house Whittle Communications.