A century ago, Knoxville businessmen who aspired to be Gentlemen could join the Cumberland Club at Walnut and Clinch, a daily refuge from the noise and grit of industrial Knoxville. The public occasionally got a peek inside when the club hosted receptions and dances. The Cumberland Club closed around 1922, whereupon it was converted for doctor’s offices. In the background is the bell tower of the old Second Presbyterian Church. Today, the site of the Cumberland Club and several neighboring buildings are covered by the Hilton parking garage.