According to its 2009 annual report, Knoxville-based Second Harvest serves an 18-county region and saw a 28 percent increase in demand for food services this past year. Here’s how it combats hunger in our region:
In 2009, Second Harvest...
• Served an average 155,000 people through 227 non-profits every month and 9.5 million meals throughout the year;
• Supplied 315,702 meals to 6,789 children through 149 elementary schools;
• Rescued fresh foods from 151 local grocer and restaurant donors to pass along to 50 non-profits with on-site kitchens—totalling 2,823,336 meals of fresh foods like produce, dairy, breads and meats;
• Purchased 3,296,603 pounds of food;
• Coordinated 415,988 pounds of product donated through 157 food drives, and 865,383 pounds more distributed through the USDA program;
• Gathered 788,899 pounds of product from national donors, 7,602,426 pounds gathered from local and regional donors.
For more information: secondharvestknox.com