RIP, Knoxville Voice

So long to our Gay Street neighbor, the Knoxville Voice, which is ceasing publication after about three years in a climate that seems unfavorable to print journalism, and to new businesses in general.

Journalists ignore other media at their peril, and we often read the biweekly paper, which advertised its local ownership; the publisher was Dane Baker, a young entrepreneur. The paper was known for its lively music coverage (staffer Eric Dawson has a story about the Knoxville music scene in the January issue of Wire), its man-in-the-street interviews, and some of its columns, including the oft-scathing national-politics column of former News Sentinel staffer Don Williams; we were curious where he’d go with it, without a Bush administration to subvert. Several of their young staff writers, which included, recently, some of Metro Pulse’s former star interns, kept the pace lively.

We do have to admit that “Sit ‘n’ Spin,” which invited interesting citizens to respond to recorded music without knowing what it is, was a dependably fun read, and we wish we’d thought of it first.

© 2009 MetroPulse. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

pmtravis writes:

This is sad news. I hate to see Knoxville lose another newspaper and jobs for
writers. I'll particularly miss the unique "I Saw You" feature, which was random
and entertaining.

lindsaybeeson writes:

My career started in the newsroom, and I have always appreciated the diversity of voices as the best way to get news and information out to keen readers. I hate it that we will have one less voice bringing us the news.

Dawson writes:

Thanks for the kind words, Pulse, and everyone else. I just wanted to give credit where it's due and mention that Sit n' Spin — which everyone seems to enjoy — was initiated by designer Ryan Collins and MP A&E editor Matthew Everett, back when they worked at the Voice. They took the idea from the above-mentioned Wire, who took it from Down Beat, and I always thought it was a great idea to have the listening test on a local level. It was probably the thing I enjoyed working on the most for the paper, and I'm sad we didn't have more time to invite everyone we would have liked to participate. — Eric

klintauras writes:

I will miss Denise's art reviews. What a loss! Bob Wilson

DSanabria writes:

Bob! Thanks-you have always been a dedicated reader of what's going on. It is appreciated. I am going to continue my column, however, on the wall in the ally behind the Emporium Center. I am deciding on what color spray paint to use. KMart on Kingston Pike has some cool colors 1/2 price in their going-out of business sale.
Denise

drderdon writes:

Oh man. I was working there for a few months, and ran accross someone, and was going to put it in the column "I saw you" And now I find out that it is gone now. Now what am I supposed to do