Bike Power: A quick ride through Knoxville's bicycle universe
May is National Bike Month, and Metro Pulse is celebrating by giving over most of this issue to bikes and bicyclists. Meet Kelley Segars, your regional transportation planner and bicycling advocate. Meet Elle Colquitt and Jon Livengood, who have sniffed out the best bike routes around Knoxville ... and share their favorites here. Get some air with Corey McPherson, closet BMX-er and ace photographer (and Metro Pulse designer). And meet your many fellow bicyclists and local bike-sellers through our handy list of bicyclists’ resources—everything from off-road routes to clubs to shops to upcoming events to rules of the road.
From the Knoxville Bike Scene
- Kelley Segars Stands Up for Bicycles: Kelley Segars is the Knoxville Regional Transportation Planning Organization’s (TPO) Bicycle Program Coordinator. It’s a position she invented. So she’s typically introduced at official functions as “the bike lady.”
- Experiences of a Knoxville Cyclist, in which Monica Miller explains some of the reasons she prefers her two-wheeled transportation: “The quickest way out of town is Riverside Drive to Holston Hills Park. You can ride to the UT Farm out there, which has great views of the river. Or you can go to Boyd’s Bridge and cross the river to all those great rides. You go from downtown to country roads like that.”
- Bicycle Laws in Knoxville, TN: Five common misconceptions about bicycling in Knoxville, and what the actual laws have to say about them
- Huck Artists: Knoxville BMX riders demonstrate some of their more artful tricks and jumps.
Knoxville Bicyclist's Resource Guide
At Volunteer Landing (operated by River Sports for Knoxville Parks and Recreation). Call River Sports at 865-523-0066 to reserve a time outside of official hours of operation, which are:
- Monday-Thusday: 3 p.m.-8 p.m.
- Friday: 2 p.m.-8 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sunday: noon – 6 p.m.
Bike Events through the year
(Thanks to intrepid interns Ana Richters, Brittney Moore and Emily Collins for all that research and data collection.)