“Nobody knows this is even here”: Enfolded within one of Knoxville’s most densely populated blocks, the interior courtyard behind the Armature and adjacent residential buildings can startle visitors. This image shows the courtyard from the back patio of Knox Mason.
The Standard was a badly decrepit old industrial building few paid much attention to until its owner tried to demolish it. Now it’s in demand for weddings and fundraisers.
The Standard, two years ago.
The Standard today.
West Jackson is a street of odd angles and surprising verticality. The Southeastern Glass building, a Conversion Properties project designed by Sanders/Pace, includes three more floors beneath the viaduct level, mirroring some projects at Gay and Jackson. Today it’s fully occupied by residents.
Completed three years ago from a roofless building shell, Sanders/Pace’s West Jackson Workshops, less conspicuous than some renovations, houses several business firms, some with courtyard space in the back.
The once-famous White Lily factory was never used for anything but making fine flour for its first 120 years; this time next year, it will be a 42-unit residential building, perhaps pushing downtown’s revival across the railroad tracks.
Not long ago, this building at Gay and Jackson was a homeless shelter—the Volunteer Ministries Center has since moved to larger quarters—but now the century-old building houses new businesses. The brick pavement belongs to the 1919 viaduct ramp, soon to be replaced.